Saturday, December 8, 2007

Maggie Rodriguez Pictures & News

CBS) Maggie Rodriguez joined CBS' The Saturday Early Show as co-anchor on June 2, 2007. She will become co-anchor of The Early Show effective Monday, Jan. 7.

In addition to co-anchoring The Saturday Early Show, Rodriguez has reported for and substitute-anchored the weekday edition of the broadcast. She also has reported for the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric and substitute-anchored the weekend edition of the CBS Evening News.




Previously, Rodriguez had anchored the 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts at WFOR-TV, the CBS-owned station in Miami since August 2000. While there, she reported on and anchored coverage of a wide range of major news events, including many hurricanes and, from New York, the one-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. She also was first on the air with coverage of the transfer of power in Cuba from Fidel Castro to his brother, Raul. The newscast later received an RTNDA Edward R. Murrow Award for its coverage of that story.

Before joining WFOR-TV, Rodriguez was anchor of the midday news and of a weekend magazine show at KABC-TV in Los Angeles (1994-2000). She also served as a field reporter and covered a wide array of stories, including earthquakes, mudslides and the O.J. Simpson trial. Rodriguez served as a reporter for the Univision Network (1991-1994) in Miami. Her career in journalism began at WLTV in Miami (1989-90), a Univision-owned station, where Maggie was an associate producer, field producer and assignment editor.

She has received six Emmy Awards and two RTNDA Murrow Awards.

Rodriguez' alma mater, the University of Miami, awarded her the first-ever "Alpha Epsilon Rho Professional of the Year Award," its top honor for professionals in the communication industry. She also is the recipient of the Hispanic Heritage Council’s prestigious "Young Hispanic Leadership Award" for professional accomplishments and community service.


Rodriguez was born in Miami and grew up in South Florida. She attended American University in Washington and graduated from the University of Miami in 1991 with a degree in broadcast journalism and Spanish.



GETTING TO KNOW ... MAGGIE RODRIGUEZ

We wanted to find out more about the life and times of Maggie Rodriguez, so we asked her to share her thoughts on a number of topics:

New York vs. Miami

I love everything about New York City. The people, the energy. I feel like I’m in the center of the universe. I realize I may not feel that way after my first winter here. I'm a warm-blooded Miamian through and through. I like the beach and the sunshine. I spent six years in Los Angeles and thought the winters there were rough. I can't imagine how I'll feel heading to work at 4 a.m. on a snowy Manhattan morning. I'm up for the challenge, though. If I survive that, I will have graduated and earned the title of "official New Yorker."


My New York To-do list

My to-do list is pages long! I want to explore every inch of this city. First, I want to do all the touristy things, like get lost in Central Park, see a Broadway show, visit Chinatown, Little Italy and Greenwich Village. Once my family and I decide where we want to live, I hope to discover my own neighborhood treasures.


"Miami Vice" vs. "CSI: Miami"

Just like "Miami Vice" captured the Miami of the 80s, "CSI: Miami" reflects my hometown now. The tropical climate mixed with the diverse cultures and languages gives Miami its unique, unmistakable flavor.


The Best Story I Ever Covered

There is no one favorite story, but I feel most alive when I'm anchoring or reporting from the scene of a big story. Whether it’s a serious story like 9/11 or a fun one like the World Series, I love to be in the middle of the action. It's an adrenaline rush like no other.


Learning How to Juggle Motherhood and Career

It's not easy to "do it all," but I'm learning that it's possible. The secret is taking it one day at a time. I would drop the career in a heartbeat if it jeopardized my ability to be the kind of mother my daughter deserves or the kind of wife I want to be. Luckily, I've been able to juggle it all. My job is so fulfilling, it makes me a happier person and hopefully, a great role model for my family.


Latina Power!

My Cuban-American roots make me who I am. My personality, my values, my customs and my languages are all a direct result of my heritage.

After my first show, I received a number of e-mails from fellow Latinas who expressed pride in having one of their own in this role. I will do my best to represent them well every day.


Vacation Spots?

Vacation ... what's that? My husband and I are workaholics who don't take as many vacations as we should. We love tropical vacations like the Bahamas or the Virgin Islands. My idea of a perfect day is spent relaxing on the beach, reading a good book or listening to my iPod. Now that I have a toddler, you're more likely to find me building sand castles or bypassing the beach altogether and heading for Disney World!

0 comments: